Tuesday, May 15, 2007

An Open Letter

Dear Broadway.com--

Just when I thought you couldn't get any more greedy, unappreciative, and awful, you go and do something like this. We, the employees, spend countless hours slaving away in our oppressive cubicles to feed your corporate hunger and how do you repay us? By cancelling our free lunch you promised us.

Some of us, upon learning of lunch being provided today on Tony nomination day, were grateful and excited. "Gee, that's considerate of them--free lunch! Woo! That's delightful." Some of us who aren't paid very well may have even felt relieved that the burden of purchasing our own lunch was lifted. But, per usual, you go and crush all hopes of decency and kindness.

I'm sorry if Tony nomination Tuesday was not as busy as you had thought, but am I not deserving of a free lunch just cuz? I guess not. I guess its only when you're raping customers of their money at a high volume. The normal rape of 20% service charge per ticket at a low volume isn't enough to give you that extra couple bucks to warrant buying lunch for your employees. No, I understand, spending $200 on lunch is a lot, especially when you're a growing corporate monster such as yourself--you gotta SAVE THOSE PENNIES! This week we might only make $2,000,000. I understand, you gotta be careful.

Once again, you've disappointed me Broadway.com. Yet another instance of putting the almighty dollar ahead of human compassion. Huzzah!

Sincerely,

Corey W. Johnson

PS. The 2 boxes of day old doughnuts you got us for breakfast were SHITTY.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I concur! Whats next? No more ridiculously over sized sweaters for christmas?!?

Anonymous said...

I have to agree 1000% with CJ. At 9am I got a text msg from a coworker who told me Bfast was Doughnuts I thought to myself "thank god I didn't go in early".

When one hears Breakfast they think oh Perhaps Bagels, a fruit assortment (or even a stretch) eggs etc.

Now there are many people at Broadway.com who live walking distance from the office, then there are those who live about 2 hr train ride away. For them to wake up early (probably around 5am) to get in for a Breakfast they are thinking is probably bagels (or something a little more nutritious and filling) to only show up for a "day old doughnut" (thanks court for the quote). That, I'm sorry is a slap in the face.

Then you think, "well I am here suck it up eat the damn doughnut there is still Lunch". Now we are not rich and most of our pay goes to bills and living (we do after all live in one of the most expensive cities in NY)so to not have to buy lunch is more then just a free lunch. Its a relief "Yay we get to save that 5-10 dollars I spend a day to eat and function to perhaps treat myself later in the week or save for my next bill or rent". TO then get something as impersonal as an email to say "Sorry Folks but we are going to reschedule lunch for another day since it didn’t turn out to be as busy as we anticipated." HELLO Its the TONY Nods not the damn awards (and if they learned from last year it wasn't even that busy after the TONYs).

They need to compensate for this. "Save lunch for another day?" what does that mean, another day that it might be BUSY? If they look at the days it hasn't been busy in weeks.

SO, BOOOO to Bway.com. Very Low, and it really shows how you value your employees.

PS- not only did they take away our lunch, they requested some of us to add them as friends on our MySpace Pages for FREE ADVERTISEMENT. They have not only raped their customers, but now they are raping their employees!

Anonymous said...

I think...in protest, whenever there is another free lunch offered...no one should take it. Seriously.

Linds said...

catching up on the blog corey, and this is truly awful. more awful is the anonymous comment from some douche bag below... who the fuck would NOT TAKE FREE FOOD? jesus.