Monday, June 25, 2007

Done and Done!

As you may or may not know, on Friday I was laid off. That's right, this glorious, long awaited day of no longer being employed by Broadway.om has finally arrived. 4 out of 5 people in my department were called into a meeting and told we were no longer needed. The 5th person in our department was spared because of his socially-inept productivity. He was told to go hide in someone's office while shit went down.
Some great things about being laid off:

1. I get a severance.
2. It makes me sound very adult.
3. I no longer work at Broadway.com

It really has been a wonderful, fulfilling and exciting 2 1/2 years at broadway.com; it makes me glad to know that I made some sort of difference and really had a positive effect on a great company. That was sarcasm...in case it didn't read. My favorite part of the whole event, though, was when I was leaving the office. I was waiting for the elevator and who should walk out of his office? Jerome, one of the "suits" whose decision it was to deem me unnecessary. (I'm not sure I can accurately label him a suit, though, since he wears sneakers) He walks out of his office, sees Nairoby and I waiting at the elevator carrying bags of our belongings and then awkwardly turns back around to go back into his office. Pussy.

As sucky as it is to lose your job, I hear that Oprah says, "When you are fired, say thank you!" And I shall do that. This is a great thing. If my life were a musical, this would the power ballad moment. This is the 'Wizard and I' from Wicked, or 'Astonishing' from Little Women, perhaps even 'Somethings Coming' from West Side Story.

I can now spend my days doing important things, like watching the movie Rent and wondering how something that could have been so good turned out so bad. Or watching Rachel Ray and wondering why the audience applauds whenever she makes up a word. Lots of wondering.

But seriously, anyone know of any job openings??

No comments: