Monday, October 01, 2007

Remember 9/11?

On the phone with my friend Mike as I'm on my way to his apartment:

Me: What's your address again?

Mike: 14-12 30th Rd.

Me: Please tell me it's the house with the 'Remember 9/11' Sign.

Mike: Yup, that's the one.

Apparently Mike's landlords celebrate 9/11. The first time I went over there in late August/ early September, there was no sign or decorations. Yesterday, however, there most certainly were.

The crux of their display was a large white piece of plywood with a heart-shaped American flag in the center. On the top, in boldly oppressive black letters was written the word, REMEMBER and below the heart-shaped flag, 9/11. The sign was accessorized with red, white and blue ribbons all over the porch and fence, with a couple miniature flags thrown in, just in case we didn't get the point.

I thought to myself, "Ya know, it's just that I had finally forgotten about 9/11--the deadliest, most elaborate attack on our country in our nation's history, and now this sign goes and reminds me of it."

I understand the desire and need to reflect and pay respect to this national tragedy, but is it really necessary to decorate your house? Is 9/11 the new, commercialized holiday for people to make money off of? I mean, you already have the vendors down at ground zero selling 'Day of Terror' books and other sorts of memorabilia capitalizing on the event, but now house decorations?

I'm sorry, but I don't think it makes you more patriotic or respectful to be the house screaming to the world how much you remember 9/11. It's just bringing us one step closer to the day when it will be common to hear the phrase, "Ya know, it's almost October and the Kimballs still have their 9/11 decorations up! Are they just gonna be lazy and keep them up there till next year?"

segue...

www.uniqueny.blogspot.com

No comments: