Tuesday, May 23, 2006

i am NOT a barista

i don't get it. we have a nice big coffee machine in our little office-kitchenette that looks to be quite easy-to-use. ("looks to be" being the key phrase in that sentence.) all you have to do is put in a filter, open and pour in a packet of Dunkin' Donuts coffee (conveniently measured to the right amount), place the whosewhatzit back in the machine and click the "brew" button. easy enough, right? well why is it, then, whenever i "brew" the coffee myself it comes out tasting like unshowered ass?! and i mean like EVERY time i make it. what am i doing wrong here?! there is not that much room for error--they designed it to be that way.

jon suggested maybe it is the water that is funky. i disagree. although jon knows his coffee and the mechanics of brewing it, i have a feeling he's trying to comfort me, because it tastes fine whenever someone else makes it--and i've watched them do it too, so i know they're not doing anything different.

granted its not really that big a deal; i don't have any aspirations to work at starbucks or some trendy cafe. but it would just be nice to be able to brew a decent cup of dunkin' donuts bagged coffee that I can be proud of and share with the rest of my co-workers on the 9th floor. but no, i'm not proud. i'm embarrassed. and after i taste my god-awful concauction, i have to run away in fear of people coming after me because they think that instead of brewing coffee, i took a shit in the coffee pot, poured boiling water over it, and stirred it with a spoon...

as if my life wasn't filled with enough rejection, now the god damned coffee machine has to assert its power over me and tell me "NO." fine. i'm ok with that. from here on out i WILL NOT make coffee. if the pot is empty, i will drink tea.

on a happier note--one of my supervisors gave my co-worker and i $10 to go buy candy (my job is really demanding). we spent all $10, clearly, on peanut m&m's, rolos, and the assorment bag of hershy's, krackle and mr. goodbar. Candy is good to me. Candy won't reject me. Candy loves me.

2 comments:

Linds said...

i'll skip the lecture on how everything you touch turns to shit. sorry to hear about your troubles. you should just get off your lazy ass and actually go to starbucks.
xo

Carolyn Baccaro said...

My pilates teacher Candy rejected me once when I asked her out for coffee. She was out of my league though.