Monday, September 18, 2006

Is this racist?

When I was in elementary school, all the 5th graders went to a place called Nature's Classroom. "Nature's Classroom is a unique educational experience for students and their teachers, offering the very best in environmental education." Translation: you leave school and go to sleepover camp for 5 days, dissect things and play games in the woods. It was pretty rad if you ask me.

Now I haven't thought about Nature's Classroom in the longest time. Until this weekend that is. I was at my friend Kate's cabin in Moosup, CT when my memory was sparked. It was dark, and a group of us were blindly making our way through the the woods back towards the cabin, desperately trying not to sprain an ankle or run into a barbed wire fence of some sort. I made an off-color comment to my friend Mike along the lines of, "wow, this must have been what it was like to be a slave in the underground railroad" and all of a sudden my memory was sparked: the Nature's Classroom people made us play a game called RUNAWAY SLAVE.

I shit you not. Did anybody experience this? Any Hebron Ave Elementary School alumni out there?

I had completely forgotten about this peculiar activity until that moment, but oh, how the memories came flooding back. The counselors at this "educational retreat" split all of us up into small groups, "families" if you will, told us that we had just escaped and were running to freedom and sent us off into the woods to hide. These counselors, probably in their early twenties, were the "bounty hunters" and came after us. It was kind of like Hide and Seek, except when a Bounty Hunter found you, you could stand still and be "invisible" to them--the theory behind this was since we were pretending that our skin matched the blackness of the night, we were able blend in seamlessly...As long as we didn't move and kept our eyes closed. The other details are semi-fuzzy. I remember some sort of jail, and there must have been a home base of sorts--a Harriet Tubman house or Mason Dixon line--not really sure. I also vaguely remember the bounty hunters carrying big sticks.

I can't tell if a bunch of very white, very middle class 5th graders running through the woods pretending to be slaves is ridiculous or ridiculously awesome. I mean, they didn't put us in black face or anything, and to my recollection no one dropped the N-bomb. There was some definite role playing though. When a bounty hunter captured you, they were not friendly. Oh no. They played their role the best they legally could: making you crawl on the frozen ground, or stand silently in the jail until you were rescued. It was loads of fun. I'm fairly certain we convinced them to let us play it again at the end of the week.

I took a little trip back to Nature's Classroom via the internet and whilst tooling around I was surprised at a) how out of date the pictures are and b) how they now call this wonderful game The Underground Railroad. Is this their attempt at being more PC? Now, its possible this was the name of the game all along. Maybe I'm merely projecting the more inappropriate title upon my memory in order to create a more interesting blog entry, but I really don't think so. I'm pretty sure they called it Runaway Slave.




Bravo to Nature's Classroom for bringing suburban white kids one step closer to understanding the struggle and history of the African American slave.

5 comments:

Chris Kelly said...

if playing Runaway Slave is racist, then I dont want to be Accepting.

Anonymous said...

I didn't play that game, instead i was just raped in the middle of the night by a white man while I made Hush Puppies.

Anonymous said...

Carolyn doesn't update enough so I looked at her friends' blogs (all two of them) and I wanted to tell you that YES I played that game when I went to Nature's Classroom with my 99% white 5th grade class! However, it was called "Underground Railroad", but you went 5 years before me, so I'm sure it was "Runaway Slave" back then. And I didn't find it fun at all. Some dude grabbed me by my Starter jacket (remember those?) and threw me in jail even though I was TOTALLY standing still. I preferred crunching wintergreen lifesavers in the dark to illustrate bioluminescence. Hope all is well!

Kara

Carolyn Baccaro said...

ohmigod i cant believe you went to natures classroom -DO YOU UNDERSTNAD THAT THIS EVENT HAS HAUNTED ME FOR ALL MY LIFE. not to turn everything back to me but I WAS TOO SCARED TO GO!!!! I STAYED HOME BECAUSE I WAS TOO SCARED OK?!?!?! WE DID FUN STUFF AT SCHOOL TOO OK!!! WE MADE A MURAL---I DREW THE MANATEE!!! WE HAD PIZZA PARTIES AND AND AND AND AHHHHHHH OK IT WAS ME AND 4 SOCIALLY RETARDED CHILDREN AND THE SPECIAL ED TEACHER!!!!!!! OH THE MEMORIES WHY DIDNT I GO WHY?!!?!?!?

Anonymous said...

Hi there.
I work for Nature's Classroom - we're an experiential education corporation based at 15 different sites throughout New England and New York. Our goal is to have children learn things by experiencing them as directly as possible - we do this with more than 30,000 kids a year and have been doing it for more than 35 years now.
Just to set the record right, the activity started in the late 1980's and has always been called "Underground Railroad." It is by no means a game - it is a serious simulation that not meant for the purpose of fun or excitement (although some kids certainly find some). It is done only when the school asks us to do it, and many special considerations are taken into account (maturity and age of children, children with special needs such as emotional disabilities, etc)
There are lots of reasons we do it - a strong historical aspect so kids are not just learning about slavery from books is the obvious focus, but it also provides a fantastic set of references upon which to base discussions about bigotry, prejudice, racism, and today's pretty horrific slavery statistics (there's still an awful lot of slavery in the world). We use this simulation as a tool to promote empathy and selflessness on both a global and personal scale.
This being said, it IS somewhat controversial - some people have raised serious arguments against it - so we are constantly trying to change and adapt this part of our program to make it better.
It has inspired groups of kids to do extracurricular projects on the subject like trying to start memorials in their town and lots of other stuff.
All in all, a lot of people have slightly adjusted memories from an experience as intense as this (the name change, the jacket toss) but staff members would be fired and lawsuits would probably follow if this sort of blatantly disrespectful behavior occurred. Hope this cleared up things a little.
Enjoy your hush puppies.
-Bo