Friday, June 30, 2006

a movie you should see

This movie is important. Go see it.

I'm always skeptical about seeing documentaries that may have an alterior political motive (which, don't get me wrong, I support Al's political aspirations---i think it just weakens the film's point of view a little), but this movie makes you think. It makes you think in a broader, global, universal sense about our existance. I know--who really wants to think that way, right?

It's hard not to feel a little hypocritical though. I left the theater wanting to help save the world, but as I thought about my actions, I felt sad. Just 2 hours earlier, I took the advice of the concession worker and upgraded to the combo which gave me a giant ass tub of CO2- filled Diet Coke. The gas I ingested from that tub of soda which I ultimately exhaled in a series of unflattering, but satisfying burps, is enough to raise the CO2 levels some minute, but considerable percentage, which in the long run will increase the world's temperature, causing the ice shelves of Greenland and Antarctica to melt and raise the sea level 20 feet, wiping out about 60 million people. Job well done on my part.
But seriously, towards the end of the movie I felt hopeless. What's the point anyway? Then, like the fearless leader he would have been, Al said something along the lines of "People tend to go right from disbelief to despair. But there's an import step inbetween: Action." Something like that. That's so true--the movie wasn't even over yet and I had already given up. But there are simple actions everyone can take to help contribute
www.climatecrisis.net
check it out. save the world, bitch.

On another note: Do you think Al Gore is going to run in 2008? I mean, I've heard talks before, and after seeing this movie, I think he will. I wonder if he'd stand a chance by running on an environmental platform. Maybe he could get the nomination running on the environment....maaaaybe---not if Hillary has anything to do with it though. I kinda want to see a Gore/Clinton ticket. That'd be a strong-ass team.

Maybe I should turn this into a political blog. But then again, I know everyone would miss hearing about Bronwyn, my gym antics, and seeing musical theater 'mos lipsyncing to wicked.

1 comment:

Carolyn Baccaro said...

correctumundo.


jk i love trying to save the world in small half-hearted blurps.