Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Oh, Broadway.com, you sad sad corporation.


My supervisor just walked by, oh so importantly, while I was looking at T-shirts online at The Onion Store and muttered passive-aggressively, "nice t-shirts." To which I wanted to respond: "Ya know what, Wallace? They ARE nice t-shirts. They are actually pretty damn hilarious. Maybe you wouldn't rather be reading a t-shirt that says, "Stereotypes are a real time saver" but I would. "

I didn't do that though. I quickly clicked over to a work-related page, moved my mouse around feigning productivity, went back to finish looking at t-shirts, then decided to write a blog about it.

He wears a wireless headset. In case you didn't know, what we do here at Broadway.com is really important--Wallace and his headset want you to know that. Every customer he talks to on that thing sure knows it--he can't resist joyfully telling the customer, "I have my new wireless headset so now I can walk around the office AND talk to you at the same time."

I'm sure they're really impressed...

I am not. Nothing about this art-killing company impresses me anymore. I used to think it was cool that I had my own cubicle. How naive and anxious for adulthood I was. I used to be excited that we got free pizza for lunch on holidays--now I wonder why they don't pay for us to go out drinking like cool companies do. I used to think Broadway was magical--oh, the irony to see it now as the greedy, corporate machine it is.

I, for one, am glad that I spent the last part of my day here at work writing this blog. As I hear people freak out and have embarrassing outbursts at frustrating customers, it comforts me to know that I don't care. I don't care at all. It makes me happy to know that the majority of each paycheck I get is for me not doing work =)

3 comments:

Chris Kelly said...

...and now, today, as I read this blog entry of yours, you are not at Broadway.com, you are at The Onion, where you belong.

Anonymous said...

Corey,

There's such a thing on our computers as "employee online history." Maybe you should be more cautious of that when taking money from broadway.com by not doing any work and ungratefully making fun of your supervisors for trying to inspire some decent work ethic in his employees. To the best of my knowledge I just congratulated you on your good work after hearing from a happy customer. I hope this blog post was worth it and got you lots of laughs because we'll be speaking on this in more detail on Monday.

Carolyn Baccaro said...

ok fine I posted that. Put away the rope.

love,
Carolyn